Re: Headers or not?

To: jasonspaeth@hotmail.com, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Headers or not?
From: ATWEDITOR@aol.com
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 14:07:36 EDT
Jason,

About a year or so ago Grassroots Motorsports did a series of improvements on
an MGB engine and dyno'd the effects, and found that the stock exhaust
manifold is a very efficient design.  It said that the substitute headers
brought
very little to the game while exposing the user to more potential maintenance
problems.

The exhaust systems they tested were mixed.  I can't remember for sure, but I
believe the Peco got good results, but a stainless steel unit did nothing.
The "Monza" style with the twin chrome tips, which Grassroots did not test, is
what I have since I was trying to recreate the look of the Abarth-equipped car
I used to have.  I think it has a nice throaty sound without being too loud
for the driver (in a GT), but not all agree to that perception.  However, these
might tend to rust faster, depending on usage, area of the country, garage or
not, etc.

Jay Donoghue
72 B-GT
66 Mustang