Re: Headers or not?

To: proot@iaces.com (Paul Root), jasonspaeth@hotmail.com
Subject: Re: Headers or not?
From: Pointparty@aol.com
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 20:54:12 -0400
My original mufler(s) were shot, so I put Peco header, (from Proper MG) pipes
and little red back muffler on my 71 bgt about 3 or 4 years ago.  It has had
problem(s) in that first I had to invent hangers for the exhaust pipe, and the
finish on  the header where it attaches to the engine just is not machined or
finished properly.  The gasket sent with it proptly failed.  I got some
additional gasket material and a new whole gasket and reinforced the area whre
the gasket blow out occurred, at the 2nd exhaust port from front of engine.
This fix lasted about 2 years.  Same problem now solved with different gaskets,
a little thicker and paying more attention to valve adjustment.  So far, so
good.  Car sounds good, slightly deeper "rumble" than stock.  But I can not
tell any power difference.    It takes me a long frustrating time to effect any
repair, I really do not have the time, talent, tools or patience so if I had it
to do over, I would just have replaced the muffler and left the original
manifold.  Mel
Mel 71 BGTif you're near Charleston, SC it is the slightly above average blue
one.  Driver with attitude.