Re: Headers or not?

To: "Jason Spaeth" <jasonspaeth@hotmail.com>, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Headers or not?
From: David Councill <dcouncil@imt.net>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 14:44:50 -0600
I almost went this route about 15 years ago with my 71BGT. I ordered a
header from JC Whitney and found after receiving it:
1. The design did not look much more efficient than the original exhaust
manifold
2. The header was much flimsier and less durable than the original exhaust
3. The headerrequires some fitting modifications in order to make a good
seal with the head. They just don't bolt on and make a solid flat connection.

This I went ahead and returned the header for a refund.

I did install headers on my Landcruiser and that too was a pain, shimming
it so it would seal against the head. I only succeeded after I found an
unused old (but illegal) asbestos exhaust manifold gasket. The new ones
just didn't compress good enough to make a seal. But the Landcruiser is a
different design too so the headers actually are a significant improvement.
Not so with the MGB in my opinion.

David Councill
67 BGT
72 B