RE: Why no MGs?

To: "'Dan DiBiase'" <d_dibiase@yahoo.com>,
Subject: RE: Why no MGs?
From: "Lew Palmer" <lpalmer@roundaboutmanor.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 19:28:34 -0500
Last year I was invited by the executive board to the MG Rover factory to
discuss the possibility of becoming the/a distributor for MGs in North
America. I think I can tell you with confidence that the answer, pure and
simple, is money.

When MGR was under the stewardship of BMW, MG was prevented, nay prohibited,
from developing a car for the North American market, lest it compete with
the Z3. Nor were they allowed to develop a relationship with any North
American entity.

Since the Phoenix Group took over, they have neither had the money to
develop a car engineered to pass US certification, nor enough money to start
the distributorship network, dealer network, marketing, advertising,
training, parts network, etc. that would be necessary.

If someone had enough money (about 25 million Pounds as of last year) and a
product package engineered such that it could pass US certification in terms
of engine management, lighting, and crash worthiness, you would be in
business. But thus far it has not been the interest of MG Rover or any
partner to spend that kind of money on a market which is of an unknown size.

The first 10,000 cars could easily be sold. There are probably that many
enthusiasts that would buy one. But the real problem is in the second, third
years, and beyond which is the hard part. To be successful in those years
one must attract the average, non-enthusiast, consumer. People who in all
likelihood have never heard of an MG. People who have other brand loyalties,
or who would decide between rock-solid reliability of Japanese cars and the
decidedly questionable reliability reputation of British cars of 20 years
ago.

I have no doubt that MG will return to these shores. But it will not be
until MG has a certifiable car and when someone with very deep pockets and
the passion of an enthusiast steps forward to build the network in North
America.

Cheers,
Lew Palmer