Re: Why no MGs?

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Why no MGs?
From: "David Breneman" <idcb@airborne.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 14:28:10 -0700 (PDT)
Chuck Renner SEZ -

> Possibly.  But even if those standards are comparable, it would be very
> unbureaucratic for a US agency to simply accept the certification of
> another country.  So even if the car has everything needed, there's
> still the actual certification process to go through.

Mercedes went through this hassle a few years back.  They designed
a door structure that was better at preventing penetration into the
passenger compartment than the US-mandated steel beam in the door.
NHTSA told them, Sorry, it may be better but if you want to sell
that car in the US you need to put a steel beam in there.  Therefore,
US customers got a less safe car, thanks to our "safety nazis".

--
David Breneman                     | "Far and away the best prize that
Distributed Systems S/W Analyst    |  life offers is the chance to