RE: Polishing paint

To: "'Paul M.'" <rowman22001@yahoo.com>, List MG <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Polishing paint
From: Chuck Renner <crenner@dynalivery.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2003 14:36:38 -0500
> I'm looking for a good random orbital polisher to wax
> my cars.  It must electric (no compressor in my
> garage) and affordable, but I want it to be a good one
> that will minimize the risk of burning my paint.  Any
> suggestions?
>
> Griot's Garage has one (made by Porter Cable, I think)
> that claims to be incapable of burning paint, but
> after bumping into a few of Griot's products elsewhere
> for far less money, I've lost faith in their pricing
> policies and don't want to get gouged.

Yes, the Porter Cable (7424) is the standard DA polisher. You can buy
from Griot's, or just run out to Home Depot or Lowe's.  However, the
standard unit only comes with a single pad that's affixed to a backing
plate.  You really need a velcro backing plate and a selection of pads,
which you can either buy seperately or as a kit with the unit like this:
http://www.properautocare.com/porcabuldetm.html

Note that even with a backing plate and pad included, the price of this
kit is some 25% less than what Griot is charging for the unit alone.