Re: Engine Swap out ideas and advice - LONG

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Engine Swap out ideas and advice - LONG
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Wed, 08 Oct 2003 10:51:18 -0700
on 10/8/03 4:26 AM, jello@ida.net at jello@ida.net wrote:

> One can change to a different format engine - v-8, v-6, inline 6, v-10, v-
> 12 etc, but the above are always opportunities for power improvement on
> the different engine too.  And a lot of times that bigger engine weighs
> more.  Low weight is always better (except in snow or mud).  As you can
> see by the list of cars I own (below) I've messed with pretty many
> configurations.

Actually, when you are talking about British 4-bangers, just about anything
weighs less (the Buick-Rover V8, for instance). So that is one of the
primary motivations behind the transplant -- anytime you can swap out 1.8L
displacement in favor of 3.5L, and save weight, it's a no-brainer.

On the other hand, the big 6 in the MGC added weight, which made that
modification a blind alley -- smooth, as you say, like all inline-6s, but
not a real net performance improvement, when you consider balance and
handling.

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149