Re: MC rebuild vs. replace

To: rowman22001@yahoo.com
Subject: Re: MC rebuild vs. replace
From: Bob Howard <mgbob@juno.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2003 08:06:17 -0500
Paul,
  My experience has been that leaking brake MCs will leak down the pedal
and leave a drip on the floor.  Use a paper towel, wipe the pedal and see
if there is damp.  If you find it, remove the cover over the MCs and look
at the end of the MC, just to be sure that it's not a pipe connection
that is leaking.
   Rebuilding the dual-system non-servo brake MC isn't worth the effort,
in my opinion, though I can't claim any particular expertise, having done
it only three times to the same MC. After those efforts, I bought a new
one. It leaked as copiously as my rebuilts. The vendor exchanged it for
another one. The second new one leaks too.  Walmart has good prices on
paper towels.
  But be of good cheer--rebuilding the clutch MC is likely to be more
successful.
Bob