Re: Exhaust Hoses

To: "Bill Snyder" <wtsnyder@juno.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Exhaust Hoses
From: "Telewest \(PH\)" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2003 14:52:12 -0000
The later 18V should have a pipe or pipes from the carbs to the oil
separator/flame trap on the front tappet cover and this applies a constant
level of suction to the crankcase when the engine is running.  Non-emissions
cars then had a vented, filtered and restricted oil filler cap to let a
limited amount of filtered air into the system and so provide through-flow
ventilation.  Emissions cars had a non-vented cap and a restricted vent on
the rear of the rocker cover that was piped to the charcoal canister and
thence to the open air.  If there is no port on the carb to suck in this
pipe then you could route it to the air cleaner, so at least it will consume
the vapours, but that will not ventilate the crankcase and you are likely to
get condensation and corrosion particular in colder weather.  Very early
cars had the rocker cover piped to the air cleaner and an open tube on the
tappet chest down by the bottom of the engine, often referred to as a draft
tube.  Opinion differs as to which way fumes travelled under various
conditions, but again it didn't provide positive ventilation.

Does the light glow at normal brightness with just the ignition on and dim
right down when you turn to start?  If so it sounds like a bad connection
somewhere, possibly at the batteries or where the ground strap bolts to the
body, or where the brown join the battery cable at the solenoid.  If it's
dimmer than normal with just the ignition on what happens when you turn the
lights on?  If no change then it sounds like the switch or its connections,
if it dims right down then main connections as described before.

PaulH.