Exhaust Hoses

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Exhaust Hoses
From: Bill Snyder <wtsnyder@juno.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2003 08:54:43 -0500
Hello list. I have a '72 BGT with a later 18V engine circa 1979. The ZS
Carbs have been replaced with Mikuni carbs (similar to Webers). On the
front left side of the engine block is a cover/oil separator with a hose
attachment. I believe the opposite end of this hose originally fed back
to the carbs. My hose goes from the cover back across the valve cover and
just stops at an open end. The problem is that after the engine is warm a
nasty smelling smoke comes from the hose that filters through the
firewall into the cockpit. Where should I route this hose? Or is it okay
to cap it?

Second problem: Usually when starting this car, I turn on the ignition
and the ignition light shines brightly. I turn the ignition key further
and the engine cranks. Occasionally, when the ignition is turned, the
ignition light glows at < half strength and the engine will not turn
over. The battery is fully charged. Is this a fault in the ignition
switch itself, or where should I start looking?

Thanks in advance for your input.
Bill Snyder
Waynesville, NC
'66 MGB