Re: Help with steering please

To: <BarrMark262@aol.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Help with steering please
From: "Paul Hunt \(T\)" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2003 09:53:52 -0000
The alignment of the two shafts must be such that the centre line crosses
through a point in space exactly where the centre of the UJ spider sits when
fitted.  Any departure from this puts excessive wear on the UJ and rack
bearings.  As well as shims between the rack flanges and cross-member mounts
being used to align the rack shaft both horizontally and vertically the
position of the steering column can also be altered, particularly
vertically, by adjusting the upper and lower mountings. the precise details
depend on what column you have.  Yours is way out for whatever reason or
combination of reasons.  When you find out what it is or they are and can
get it closer you need to construct an ersatz alignment gauge.  Some use a
blob of blu-tak on the end of each shaft, formed to a point, I wrap a length
of stiff wire round each shaft and position one end at a point slightly off
the end of the shaft.  The distance of the point from the end of the shaft
should be the same as the middle of the UJ spider from the end of the shaft,
when fitted.  Whichever, spin each shaft and fine tune the position of the
point so that it stays at a fixed point in space and doesn't describe a
circle.  That is the centre-line of the shaft.  If you have got the
centre-line and the lengths correct you should now be able to adjust the
vertical and horizontal positions of the shafts to get the two points just
touching, then they are correctly aligned.  Where are these thick washers?

PaulH.