RE: Off topic: Domain name registration

To: "'Randy Trautman'" <trautman@nwlink.com>, <Pointparty@aol.com>,
Subject: RE: Off topic: Domain name registration
From: "Lew Palmer" <lpalmer@roundaboutmanor.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2004 20:56:08 -0600
The fact of the matter is that all US domain name registrations are
ultimately done by Network Solutions (subsidiary of VeriSign). They are the
designated authority and hold the keys to the master database. Other
companies can do it, but they are simply for-profit agents. I won't register
any of my many domains with anyone else, for if some of the smaller outfits
go out of business or are bought (which happens quite often), it may be very
difficult to contact anyone. Yes, I know the domain can be transferred, but
why go through the hassle for a couple of bucks difference in price over a
two to three year period. Besides, some of these smaller third parties like
selling your information and I can't tell you how many times I've received
bogus solicitations to renew my domain name with a company that had nothing
to do whatsoever with the original registration.

All my domains are registered with Network Solutions. I know where they are
and I can manage the whole lot online. There's never a question.

Cheers,
Lew Palmer