Re: Rear end swap

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Rear end swap
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2004 13:14:28 -0800
Begging the question, what is the benefit of rear disc brakes on an MGB?

I think I could come up with a lot of ways to spend the time and money that
might actually have some positive real-world effect. If you just want the
"bling bling" of bright red-painted calipers showing through the spokes,
that's another story.

Sorry if I come off as cynical, but lack of rear braking power doesn't
strike me as a chronic shortcoming dying to be addressed.

The reason new cars have rear discs is not for performance, it's for
logistics* -- so the manufacturers don't have to stock all the separate drum
brake components, which are more numerous and more fiddly to install. Come
to think of it, I suppose that could be a justification for a swap, although
to take that logic to extremes, you'd also replace the fiddly engine and
other systems with their modern equivalents.

* I am not talking about ultra-high-performance cars, here, just vehicles in
the same price/performance class as MGs (which I suppose means economy
hatchbacks, really...).