Forwarded: Exhaust header cleanup

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Forwarded: Exhaust header cleanup
From: <lists@autox.team.net>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 01:07:01 -0700
For some reason this was sent to me rather than mgs@autox.team.net.
If your internet access is web-capable, check out

  http://www.team.net/posting.html

mjb.
----

     From: "Howard Battan" <battanhr@comcast.net>
     Subject: Exhaust header cleanup
     Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2004 11:30:22 -0800

Hi, all. I'm in the process of refurbishing (note I didn't say restoring
- - that implies it would look like new) my '57 MGA 1500 (sort-of), and
while the motor is in for a rebuild, I'm working on cleaning and
painting all the other bits and parts.

My question is: what is the best way to clean up and paint the exhaust
header? I'm trying to remove old rust and scale with a wire brush, but
that only removes the loose stuff. Should I use a grinder (carefully) to
get down to base metal? Should I acid-soak it to eat up the rust? What
works?

After the cleaning, I plan to use a 1200 Deg. F high temp paint from the
auto parts store to paint it 'aluminum'.

All suggestions are welcomed.

Thanks,

Howard Battan
Auburn, WA