Re: Car Alarms (Was: RE: TD Cowl Mirror Screws)

To: David Breneman <DAVID.BRENEMAN@dhl.com>, MG List
Subject: Re: Car Alarms (Was: RE: TD Cowl Mirror Screws)
From: "Paul M." <rowman22001@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 11:26:20 -0800 (PST)
--- David Breneman <DAVID.BRENEMAN@dhl.com> wrote:

> Of course, I have to admit I'm prejudiced against
> car alarms.

Me too.  And it's a prejudice rooted in reality.  I
watched a show on one of the Discovery-style networks
on car theives, and they were interviewing these guys
and giving them challenges on how to disarm car alarms
and so forth.

The interviewer says: "Well, you got that alarm
disarmed pretty quickly, but the siren was sounding
for at least ten seconds before you shut it off.
Wouldn't that get you caught?"

The guy answered: "No way.  If you're dressed decently
and clean shaven and you look like you BELONG next to
that car, then when the alarm goes off you just shake
your head sheepishly and look embarassed and no one
will give you a second look.  People are so
conditioned to ignore car alarms - especially in
perfect-theft places like parking garages and city
streets - that the siren is totally useless.  Sure, we
could spend more time and get in without setting it
off, but that would be a waste of time.  No one cares
if the alarm goes off.  Not even parking lot security
guards."

Which about sums up MY experience.

=====
Paul Misencik - 1971 MGB - www.sopwithracing.com