Re: New at this game...

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: New at this game...
From: "Paul M." <rowman22001@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2004 10:53:58 -0800 (PST)
There's no better way to prepare yourself for an MG
project like a good education!  The book mentioned
earlier by Lindsay Porter - "MGB: Guide to Purchase
and DIY Restoration" (now called, I belive, the
"Haynes MGB Restoration Manual) is excellent.  When I
was contemplating my first MGB, I read this book cover
to cover several times, as it gives you a relatively
thorough understanding of what you're going to be
getting into with the various components and
subassemblies.

But there are other good sources.  Combing the
internet will reveal tons of interesting websites on
MGB restoration and repair, and there are books like
"Your Expert Guide To MGB Problems and how to Fix
Them" that can help also.  Read, read, read and learn
all about the MGB before you really get into it,
because then you'll be better able to ascertain
whether or not the project is going to be worth it for
you.

But there is no shame in cobbling together a
half-decent driver as opposed to tackling a full-blown
restoration.  Having an MGB that has a little Bondo in
it or maybe has some electrical foibles, and just
enjoying it for a while is not a bad way to spend a
year or two!  If it were me, I'd echo what the other
posters said:

1)  Make sure it's structurally safe to drive.
2)  Get it running and make sure the brakes,
suspension and steering are at least safe to operate.
3)  Slap some seat covers and a dash pad on the
interior and drive it for a while.  See what you
think.

If you're hooked, then you can go through the car
little by little and do a driving restoration as your
time and budget allow.  Or, if you're not hooked, it
will at least be a much easier car to sell if it's
running and driving.

Best of luck,

=====
Paul Misencik - 1971 MGB - www.sopwithracing.com