Re: electrical problem

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: electrical problem
From: Mike Lins <linsmc@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 23:13:40 -0800 (PST)
Sorry, I wasn't thinking about corrosion. I once emailed John Twist about some
electrical problems that I was having and he sugested that I let my fuse box
soak in ammonia or dilute acid (Not both though!).

The fuse box, looks and feels like it's made of bakelite material. If so, I
think you'd probably be ok as long as you're careful to stay on the contacts
and dont bump the box with the iron. I'm really unsure about the melting thing
though-Bakelite is wierd stuff     ...maybe if you soaked it, tightened them
and then soldered them? That might keep the solder joint from accidentally
popping loose and then you would have a clean, tight surface with solder to
help fortify that connection.

Mike Lins

1980 MGB

MGBnutt@aol.com wrote:
Mike,
I'm thinking the problem might be due more to corrosion in the "gap" between
the rivet and the terminal, so just tightening them up might be less effective
than the soldering method. Of course tightening would be safer I guess...how
susceptible is the fuse block to melting?

donny v
1978 MGB