Re: Door Mirrors for 1966 MGB

To: "Paul M." <rowman22001@yahoo.com>, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Door Mirrors for 1966 MGB
From: David Councill <dcouncil@imt.net>
Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 17:49:33 -0600
Thanks Paul for the info on where the hole goes. It looks like such a mount
point was standard from 1969-1971 North American cars.

Now that I am home, a look in Clausagers book shows mirrors to be a rather
rare item in the pictures, particularly on UK models. Clausager states (p.
27) that side mirrors were a factory option until 1965 when they became a
dealer fit item. The driver's side door mirror became standard in 1968-1971
on US models. The 1969-1971 North American cars had the driver door and
passenger fender mirror, and the two door mirrors became standard on 1972
and later models.

So I conclude that side mirrors (fripperies??) were or are not a popular
item in the UK. And there may be a lot of different dealer mirror
configurations on US models. I am not a concours fanatic and I have only
been to two car shows in my life so far (but I'm thinking about the
Glenwood Rally next month). However, I still like to keep my cars fairly
original and representative of what they were. Granted, I was the second
poster on the mirror question and I hope the original person had his
questions answered on his 66B. I just want to get rid of the ugly and loose
side mirrors on my 67BGT and put something on it that retains some
semblance of how it should look or close to it so that at worse only a true
MG fanatic can see the flaw in it. The previous owner of my 67BGT kept the
car in pretty good shape. The mirrors and the furry headliner are the only
things that could make him fall into the DPO category.

David Councill
67 BGT
72 B