Re: MGB Slave cylinder - HELP.

To: "Paul M." <rowman22001@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: MGB Slave cylinder - HELP.
From: Paul Root <ptroot@iaces.com>
Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 09:37:33 -0500
Paul M. wrote:

> Man, I screwed something up and I can't for the life
> of me figure out what I did...
>
> I had a bad clutch slave cylinder on my 1971 MGB.  The
> new one arrived today and I kind of hurried through
> the swap, thinking it was a no-brainer (in a rush to
> try to make a local car show...)  Everything seemed to
> go well with the swap and the bleeding, but now I have
> no pedal whatsoever - it goes right to the floor as if
> there was no hydraulic pressure at all.  It's such a
> simple swap, what could I have done wrong?
>
> Some notes:
>
> 1)  When the slave arrived, I noticed that the bleed
> nipple was in the wrong hole when compared to my old
> one.  So I removed the nipple and put it in the other
> hole so it would look exactly like the old slave.  I
> assume that was the right thing to do?

The bleed nipple should be below the hose when attached to
the tranny. Otherwise, you have the opportunity for air above
the line.

It's been reported that they are shipped with the nipple in the
wrong hole. So it's likely you did the right thing.

> 2)  The actuating rod that goes into the slave
> cylinder just kind of pushes into that rubber seal,
> right?  I assume there is just some kind of dished
> piston in there or something, so I just slid the rod
> into that rubber grommet thingy.  Is there more to it
> than that?

I think Charles covered that. push it in all the way.

> 3)  The system seems to bleed fine - my wife is
> pushing the pedal and from underneath, it looks like
> it's bleeding normally.  But she can't really tell me
> whether or not it has a pedal at that point, because
> she's a lifelong auto-trans driver and doesn't really
> know what a good pedal feels like...

I've given up on a helper to bleed. I really like my ezibleed.
Others like the mitivac.

I think it's Paul Hunt who hooks the ezibleed up to the slave and pushes
fluid up (after he has bleed down to make sure he has clean fluid
top to bottom).

With a Ezibleed, you just have to be sure you don't use too much
pressure. I've been thinking of going to Menards and getting a sprayer
canister, like for deck wash or weed killer and building a little
compressor instead of using the spare tire all the time. I think it just
wants 10-15 psi.

I did my clutch first time when I pulled the engine 3 years ago. I
didn't have the Ezibleed then and my wife did it. It was fine. Last
year, I replaced the hose, because I didn't like the look of it. The
Ezibleed did the job in about 30 seconds.

I still have a bit of squish in the brakes. I've been trying to blame
the power assist, but I don't think that's it after reading the thread
on that. Oh, that thread was on yahoo. I still don't like the look of
my vacuum hose for the power brakes. Is that a regular hose, or do I
need something special?

> 4)  Clutch fluid appears to be leaking out of
> somewhere SLOWLY.  It will drain the master overnight,
> but I can't tell exactly where it's coming from,
> because it's a pretty slow leak.  It could be the
> bleed nipple (even though it's locked down tight) or
> could be the hose, which I didn't change.

I'd bet that is the hose.

--
    ______      Paul T. Root
   /    _ \     1977 MGB