Re: What oil level is right?

To: "Hans Duinhoven" <h.duinhoven@planet.nl>, <Mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: What oil level is right?
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2004 10:37:02 +0100
Good question, and there have been opinions expressed that it should be
checked immediately after switching off, shortly after, and some time after.
On my roadster there can be about 3/4 from Max to Min difference between the
shortest and longest times.  The Owners Handbook says:

"Maintain the level at the 'Max' mark on the dipstick and never let it fall
below the 'Min' mark"

and

"The oil level should always be checked before a long journey"

and

"... allow the engine to stand for a few minutes before checking the level
with the dipstick".

PaulH.