Re: What oil level is right?

To: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>, MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: What oil level is right?
From: Dan DiBiase <d_dibiase@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2004 12:30:29 -0700 (PDT)
Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com> wrote:
on 6/3/04 5:51 AM, Bob Howard at mgbob@juno.com wrote:

> These engines don't hold nearly as much oil as TD engines. Late TDs,
> with a finned aluminium pan, hold about six US quarts. All the MGBs, with
> and w/o oil coolers, hold less. One wonders if oils were improved so
> much in that time that smaller quantities were OK, or what other factors
> might have lead to the smaller sumps. I note that my 2002 Toyota Tacoma
> four-cylinder engine wants six quarts.

Interesting points. I don't know if the factor would be improved oil, or
improved oil circulation design (more efficient use of the volume of oil).
The Toyota engine is doubtless an OHC design which would naturally have more
internal oil passage volume than a pushrod motor.

Max Heim

Max, not sure camshaft placement has anything to do with it - my Audi A4 has a
DOHC set-up, 20 valves, with an oil cooler, and only holds 4.2 quarts....! So,
must be a question of higher efficiency, as you also noted....

Dan
The Garden State
'76 MGB Tourer - Driver - It's getting better all the time....
'65 MGB Tourer Project - Yep, still is....
'04 Audi A4 1.8T q MT-6 - quattro, baby!
NAMGBR #5-2328