Re: What oil level is right?

To: Mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: What oil level is right?
From: ATWEDITOR@aol.com
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2004 10:58:03 EDT
In a message dated 6/2/2004 10:28:29 AM Eastern Daylight Time, mgbob@juno.com
writes:
Using the quantity specified in the workshop manual for the 18V with
oil cooler, I poured in the oil. Started engine, oil pressure came up
almost immediately, engine ran for five minutes, was shut down, was let
cool for five minutes, then dipstick was checked.
   The oil level on the stick was at the M of MAX above the line.  I am
more puzzled than before.
Years of experience has led me to believe there is a little hidey place up in
the block were a bunch of oil--probably half a quart--lurks no matter how
long you wait after shutdown.  It stays there until you add enough oil to get
up
to the "MAX" line, then the lurking quantity drops into the oil pan for you to
find.  I say this only half in jest.

Jay Donoghue

72B-GT
66 Mustang