Re: What oil level is right?

To: h.duinhoven@planet.nl
Subject: Re: What oil level is right?
From: Bob Howard <mgbob@juno.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2004 10:22:04 -0400
Hans,
   I have had the same question. Thinking that I could establish a mark
on the stick based on the workshop manual's specified amount of oil put
into the engine, I changed oil recently.  I raised the MGB and made sure
it was level, let the old oil drainfor 30 minutes, at which time the
inverted spin-on filter was removed and and the engine let drip for a few
minutes longer.  A new filter was installed a new filter and  the drain
plug replaced.
   Using the quantity specified in the workshop manual for the 18V with
oil cooler, I poured in the oil. Started engine, oil pressure came up
almost immediately, engine ran for five minutes, was shut down, was let
cool for five minutes, then dipstick was checked.
   The oil level on the stick was at the M of MAX above the line.  I am
more puzzled than before.
Bob