Re: De-Smog or Re- Smog ?

To: Eugene Balinski <eugeneb@nni.com>, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: De-Smog or Re- Smog ?
From: "Paul M." <rowman22001@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2004 12:52:53 -0700 (PDT)
--- Eugene Balinski <eugeneb@nni.com> wrote:
> should I just go ahead and buy a replacement
> air pump/belt and install it, or should I go
> through the process to desmog ?

Unless you have some compelling reason not to (i.e.
concern over inspections or concours points), I would
de-smog it.

I de-smogged my 1971 MGB, and despite the fact that I
was expecting to feel NO tangible increase in
performance, I defintely did.  The car was quicker to
rev and made enough of an improvement in midrange
torque that I immediately noticed the difference.

(IMPORTANT SIDEBAR: My gulp valve may not have been
working correctly, which probably meant the car was
running rich, so the improvement I felt was probably
not a valid apples-to-apples comparison.  But even so,
that's another reason to de-smog!  Less to go wrong.
END SIDEBAR)

Another reason to de-smog is cost.  If you get it all
running again and something else fails, you have more
to repair and replace down the road.  Pull it all off
and you'll never have to worry about it again.

Finally, I'm about as likely to hug a tree as anyone
on this list, but I'm still not convinced the
emissions controls on my 1971 made any significant
effect on the actual exhaust emissions.

=====
Paul Misencik - 1971 MGB - www.sopwithracing.com

THE CAROLINA TROPHY - 2005