Re: Alternatives to de-smogging

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Alternatives to de-smogging
From: "Paul M." <rowman22001@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2004 17:28:49 -0700 (PDT)
--- Editorgary@aol.com wrote:
> Actually, if you expand the equation, you may get a
> different answer.

Very, very good point.  But my gut feeling is that
hybrids are definitely a step in the right direction,
and it's encouraging to see that Toyota can't build
the Prius fast enough to meet demand.  They are also
coming out with a whole slew of hyrbid models over the
next few years, including some luxury hybrids under
the Lexus nameplate and even a hybrid SUV.  Saturn has
a hybrid version of the Vue already I think.

Clearly there is demand for hybrids, and clearly, if
that demand keeps increasing, we'll be heading in the
right direction.  For that reason, I think it's
important to support hybrid technology.

Our old classic toys will always be legal - at least
for the forseeable future - but the push to
dramatically reduce our consumption of fossil fuels in
the mainstream of daily use driving is a good one I
think.

But you're right.  I remember seeing that breakdown
where it talked about the energy it took to
manufacture  and dispose of the batteries that would
be required to run an entire nation of battery-powered
cars, and it was obscene.

One thing, though, is fairly certain.  Continuing to
guzzle fossil fuels at such an alarming rate as we
currently do is an increasing problem.

JMHO,

=====
Paul Misencik - 1971 MGB - www.sopwithracing.com