Re: MGA Heater shut-off valve

To: "Howard Battan" <battanhr@comcast.net>, "'MG List'"
Subject: Re: MGA Heater shut-off valve
From: Barrie Robinson <barrie@look.ca>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2004 14:01:42 -0700
Howard,

I am in the process of developing a ball valve for my MGB GT V8. I am using
a valve used in plumbing but one that is easily closed as it has to be
pushed open by cable which has not much oomph.  I had to make some mods but
seems to work well.  Hope to fit it soon and then find how it works
although it seems to work well on the bench!

At 08:20 AM 7/28/04, Howard Battan wrote:
>This past weekend I attended the All British Car Show in Bellevue, WA
>and saw several great MGAs and Twin Cams, along with a vast assortment
>of MGBs, Triumphs, Healeys and other British cars. It was a great show.
>Mostly, I was interested in the MGAs, since I'm putting mine back
>together now.
>
>One item I noticed on several of the MGA and on the Twin Cam was a ball
>valve shut-off in the heater hose. Now I know mine has never had one,
>and I don't see them listed in the Moss catalog, so I'm wondering if
>there is any historical precedent to their use? Having driven my MGA
>mostly in the warm (dry) months in western Washington, I can see a good
>reason for such a valve! I never have been able to stop the hot air from
>getting into the interior of the car by using the heater controls.
>
>Anyway, is there a precedent for this valve, and is it common practice
>to fit them?
>
>Thanks
>
>Howard Battan
>Auburn, WA