RE: clutch bleed wierdness

To: "mgs" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: clutch bleed wierdness
From: "James Nazarian" <jhn3@uakron.edu>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2004 13:42:20 -0400
If you do end up doing an R&R on the clutch, make sure you order the a new
bushing for the throwout lever pivot.  This is the clutch withdrawal lever
bushing (~$1.95) according to Moss. By now, most people are familiar with
the wear that goes on in the clevis and pedal at the master cylinder.  This
bushing wears in the same way and will allow the throwout bearing to move
around.  This will cause clutch chatter and premature failure.

I'm not completely clear on your description of the lever movement.  With
the arm sitting in the position where the slave would be pushing on it,
there should be plenty of movement towards the slave, this is pulling the
bearing away from the pressure plate.  I don't think that there is a good
way to tell anything about the clutch internals without pulling them out.
Hopefully the lever will contact the pressure plate when it is roughly
perpendicular to the transmission.  This would be the point of greatest
mechanical advantage, but with bushings and etc worn, it might not be there.
About the only way for this to cause a loss of pressure on the arm, is for
the release bearing to come off of the lever, or for all the diaphragm
springs to break off the pressure plate.  Not to say that can't happen, but
it usually doesn't.

I agree with Paul Hunt's plan of action.  Most likely something is holding
the slave extended.

James Nazarian
71 MGBGT V8
71 MGB Tourer