Re: clutch bleed wierdness

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: clutch bleed wierdness
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 13:39:56 -0700
I assume you are using the abbreviation "SS" for "slave cylinder"... I don't
think I would spell it that way...<g>.

Clutch 101: The clutch consists of a friction disk and a "pressure plate",
so-called because it exerts spring pressure to hold the friction disk
against the flywheel in order to transfer power from the engine to the
transmission. When you press the clutch pedal, you are pressurizing a
hydraulic ram (the slave cylinder) which actuates a lever which pulls the
friction disk away from the flywheel, against the springs in the pressure
plate. If you take your foot off the clutch pedal, the springs in the
pressure plate should push the friction disk back into contact with the
flywheel, re-enabling propulsion.

So I am saying that the problem is internal to the clutch housing, possibly
broken springs in the pressure plate, or a broken clutch fork. At any rate,
it is something beyond what you are describing with the slave cylinder.

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149

Check out the new British Cars Forum: