Re: Coil?

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Coil?
From: Rocky Frisco <rock@rocky-frisco.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 02:40:47 -0500
Malcolm Jeffcock wrote:

> Listers: A couple of weeks ago I posed a question about my MG's
> symptoms...coughing los of power etc. at about 3000 rpm. Well I
> replaced coil, condesor, points all based on the old adage that 90%
> of "carb troubles" are electric.  No change I now have discovered
> that one of my carbs (back one) is sticking. The piston stays "up"
> causing the irregular performance-running on 2 cylinders(?). I have
> cleaned it oil etc. it still seems to stick once car is at around
> 3000 rpm for 30 seconds or so. Anyone else had this trouble,how do
> I fix it?

When I had a similar problem on the Cooper S, it was carb icing,
causing the dashpot to stick in the up position. I added an electrical
heating strip onto the dashpot and the problem went away forever (or
until the strip dies).

Your situation might be different, but if the dashpot drops nicely
with the engine off and then sticks when running, that might be it.

-Rock    http://www.rocky-frisco.com
--
JJ Cale Live CD and video: http://www.rocky-frisco.com/calelive.htm
The Wednesday Night Science Project: http://www.wednitesciproj.us