Re: Coil?

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Coil?
From: Farlane Macfarlane <n5bgy@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 16:54:34 -0700 (PDT)
--- Paul Hunt <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> If it only sticks some of the time it is probably
> the piston binding on the
> dashpot rather than the jet needing centring.

Amen.  I had a really strange malfunction with one of
the SU's on my '67 MGB. While cruising at a fixed
throttle opening, it would start to lose power, then
sputter, drop a cylinder or two, then (sometimes)
start working perfectly.  I discovered that if I
dropped the engine back to idle immediately, it came
back to cruise power just fine.  It turned out that
the rear carb had a sticky spot right at the piston
position for normal cruise power, something like 1/2"
long on the dashpot cover wall.  I found it by
removing the piston and dashpot cover, inverting the
assembly (dump the oil first!), and spinning the
piston while slowly moving it up and down on the
center rod.  I fixed it by polishing the dashpot cover
wall a couple times with Brasso, cleaning the cover
with carb cleaner well to keep the polishing compound
from getting into the works.  Put a slight spot of oil
on the center rod, too.  No problems for the last 3-4k
miles.  Jet centering can help, too, of course.

FJM
Houston, TX

67 MGB
73 VW 412 wagon