Re: MGB bonnet latch

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: MGB bonnet latch
From: ATWEDITOR@aol.com
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2004 15:17:03 EDT
In a message dated 10/25/2004 2:45:17 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
barrie@look.ca writes:

When I  close down the bonnet (and it is not fouling anything) I sometimes
can  open it with the pull cable - but not always.  But after a few goes it
will NOT lock down.  The catch (pulled by a spring) just does not  seem to
hold.  So I cannot close my bonnet!   If I do get  it to close it will not
open using the pull cable from inside the cockpit  - but it will open using
my emergency coat hanger pull thing through the  wing (fender).

Have you adjusted the length of the shaft on the bonnet that fits into the
catch?  I switched bonnets and found the shaft's length as prescribed by  the
locknut at its base was too short to properly engage the catch, or if it  did,
to do so under great tension.  Try to slack off the locknut and  unscrew the
shaft a few turns. Repeat until it operates as you wish.  You need not
re-tension the lock nut until you've hit on the right  length.  On mine there's
even a
little flathead screwdriver slot in the end  of the shaft to make the job
easier, a rarity in LBCs.

Jay Donoghue
66 Mustang
72 -GT