Re: More Moss Mishaps

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: More Moss Mishaps
From: WSpohn4@aol.com
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2004 12:31:38 EST
In a message dated 23/11/2004 8:47:20 AM Pacific Standard Time,
d_dibiase@yahoo.com writes:

All of this has convinced me to carefully wrap up the original  octagon
from my '65 B project car, for the day when they will be rechromed  and
reinstalled....! The bumpers, too, which are fortunately free  from
dings... It's also why I have scoured eBay and other sources to  obtain
other original items in good shape that can simply be cleaned up,  versus
buying brand-new, unknown quality parts, wherever  possible/reasonable.

____________________________________

If I had tossed everything out over the years,  I wouldn't have any basis for
comparison with the reproduction parts (and I  guess I wouldn't be
bellyaching ;-)

It is always worth keeping stuff - I will be  looking through my stack of
body panels on the weekend to try and recover  enough used spire nuts to
install
my chrome on the trunk lid. I still wonder  why they bother including clips in
the kits that no one can seem to use -  waste of time, assuming (as the case
seems to be, judging by feedback) that I  am not just too thick to make them
work.......

I am used to keeping old parts - I started  playing with MGAs in 1970, before
there WAS much of an aftermarket for these  cars, so you either found NOS
items or worked with what you had.

Best example of why you don't toss old stuff -  several instances I know of
with Jensen Interceptor owners where shops have  decided to change oil pumps on
the Chrysler engines, ordered the new one and  tossed the old one....only to
find that the bottom cover is unique, sourced  from some strange Chrysler
engine, perhaps a stationary engine or agricultural  installation, the
particulars
of which are now lost to us. No cover, no  running Jensen!

Bill