Re: 2 liter piston ID

To: MG List <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: 2 liter piston ID
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Tue, 07 Dec 2004 14:59:58 -0800
on 12/7/04 2:38 PM, Carl French at leylandauto@yahoo.com wrote:

> My mechanice has a set of unused 2ltr pistons attached to GV series rods. He
> has had them stored for twenty plus years from some parts he got an enthusiast
> then. I am considering using them in my 73BGT project. The block needs to be
> bored out anyways and the pistons could be had for very cheap. The GV block I
> have is in good shape and should take the bore OK. I would not do anything
> like this to the GB block in my 67. He is not sure what the make of the
> pistons are. I have the numbers off of the top of the dished pistons
> RA2694X std
> TOP0015 C6
>
> The pistons measure 2.558 top to bottom (stroke?)

No, the stroke is measured from the total up-and-down movement of the piston
during one revolution of the crank. You can't tell anything about the stroke
from a loose piston. At any rate, assume it hasn't changed if you haven't
changed the crank.

> 3.141 across (bore?)

The bore would be measured from the inside diameter of the cylinder, uh,
bore. The piston would be smaller in diameter than the bore, for clearance.
You should be able to calculate the required bore from the piston diameter,
if you know what the clearance should be (I don't know that offhand, but it
can doubtless be looked up).

I'm curious if the dished top means they are low compression? Or is that to
compensate for the larger swept volume?

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149