Re: 42 mile 1980 LE

To: MGS <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: 42 mile 1980 LE
From: Eric <eric@erickson.on.net>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2005 02:42:15 +1030
Larry Daniels wrote:

> Wow!  What outrageous prices you guys in Oz are paying for used MGs.  At the
> current conversion rate of approximately $76 USD to $100AU, those prices, in
> some cases, are better than double the price here.

We "assembled"  a lot of MGs here (at the Zetland, NSW, factory) but
where do you think most of the cars on the road come from now?  They are
shipped over from the US.  Those cars shown at the top of the page
(restorer specials :-) are the last of a bunch that I saw pulled from a
couple of containers from the shops last trip to the US.  Add the
shipping costs and you have the prices.

A car with a good paintjob and good mechanicals is about $AU13,000 - a
"really nice" restored, chrome bumpered B is up to $AU18,000.

A car is worth what it will sell for (you can pick up "ordinary" cars -
OK/poor paint and OK mechanicals with no rust - for $AU8,000 to $10,000.
 Remember, at least we can drive these things all year round :-)  Demand
is high here.  I would see at least one other 'B on the road on my way
to/from work every day and we have hundreds of members in my local MG
car club (in a State with not much over one million people).

It is all relative.

If I bought one of your $US5,000 cars and shipped it to Australia how
much would it have cost me?

As far as the 42 mile car (it really is in "as new" condition) - I would
assume that the Belgium buyer would now what he was up for and knows the
value of the vehicle.  Apparently he is asking for another car to be put
into the container, reducing the individual shipping cost, so I gather
the money was not such an issue for him :-)

--
Eric
'68MGB MkII