RE: Ahh, life is good. 77 MGB back on the road.

To: <DMatt21502@aol.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Ahh, life is good. 77 MGB back on the road.
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2005 10:21:36 -0800
> Of DMatt21502@aol.com
> Sent: Monday, February 28, 2005 8:51 AM
> To: mgs@autox.team.net
> Subject: Ahh, life is good. 77 MGB back on the road.

  Neither the horns or the windshield washer or wipers
> work. I am
> pretty sure the problem is in the push button at the end of the lever
as
> well
> as the switch itself. There doesn't appear to be any way to get inside
of
> these to clean and lubricate them.

The Cap on the end of the levers just pop off on the 77-80 switches.
The cap has a tapered brass cone that makes the circuit to the pair of
contacts.  These contact aren't usually a problem.

If the wipers are not working either, I'd be looking for a bad ground
wire.  If the ground to the switches is bad then all of the above would
be out.  Check the black wires at the two big multipin plugs under the
dash, right under the steering column.

The turn indicator/horn switch will have green/red, green/white, purple
and blue wires at the plug.  The wiper switch plug has lots of green
wires.

Also I have a Weber carb with electric
> choke.
> Even though I don't think I really need the choke I would like to know
how
> wire it into the harness.

The Zenith Stromberg had an ignition switched wire feeding the carb.
heater.  This wire works great for running the electric choke.  No need
to add anything.

Finally, while I was installing the new wiring
> harness the dash lights worked fine but last night I noticed they
don't
> come on
> anymore. The illumination switch was out of a salvage yard so I am not
too
> confident about its condition. Are these prone to fail?

The dashlight dimmer is very prone to failing.  It has two terminals on
each side of the dimmer.  If you connect both wires to one side of the
dimmer you effectively short out the dimmer and get full brightness from
the dash lamps.  Typically the dash bulb lights are dim to begin with,
so there is not much use for the dimmer anyway.

 Sure feels good to
> see this
> car back in one piece!!

Congratulations.  My wife and I spent the weekend tidying up the
workshop and you can almost see my 1980 MGB.  It's going to have all the
same electrical problems by the time I get into it.

All the best

Kelvin Dodd