sticking clutch?

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: sticking clutch?
From: "Fred Schroeder" <fschroed@mindspring.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2005 11:20:18 -0500
I'm "in progress" with a 1972 MGB Roadster and am hopeful that there is an
easier solution than what my objective sense tells me is the only way out.  I
bought the car from a person for whom it was a daily driver.  He indicated that
he parked it about two years ago when the master brake and clutch cylinders
started to leak and he had plans to rebuild it.  He says that the clutch was
fine and working with no slippage when he parked it.  I towed it home about 50
miles with the front wheels on a dolly and obviously with the car in neutral.
I rebuilt both master cylinders and the clutch slave cylinder and bled it out
properly.  I get almost 3/4 inch travel at the slave cylinder rod when the
pedal is depressed.  The problem is that the clutch itself does not release
when the pedal is depressed and I cannot get it into gear.  Have any of you
ever encountered a "stuck" clutch plate?  The only logical alternative that I
know of is a bad or missing throwout bearing or a broken horn on the  yolk for
the throw-out bearing.  Both will require removal of the engine and while I can
do that, I would prefer a simpler solution.  Any thoughts?  Thanks.  Fred

fschroed@mindspring.com