My clutch woes

To: "MG list" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: My clutch woes
From: "MonteMorris" <mmorris@nemr.net>
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 23:42:03 -0500
Mike (Duvall) your disease must be contagious:-). I've been quickly skimming
your recent thread about clutch problems since they didn't really affect
me-until now!
Tonight while driving 20 miles home, the 79B clutch pedal had considerably
less tension than normal; I pulled in to a gas station and pushed the clutch
to the floor and it didn't fully disengage the tranny and I had to turn the
key off to get it stopped. Then I couldn't get it in to any gear after
trying for a few seconds. Got it in to gear and drove 8 miles home and
everything seemed to be working fine until I pulled into the garage and the
clutch didn't want to disengage again.
I'm assuming that this is probably a clutch problem (I checked the slave
cylinder and it was full of fluid and there were no leaks around the master
cylinder). The car has been marking it's territory well for the past few
months and the tranny fluid may be pretty low; could this cause the problem,
or is it most likely that I'll have to learn how to take the engine out and
dismantle it to replace the clutch? Anything to try first?
Thanks,
Monte