Re: My clutch woes

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: My clutch woes
From: Rocky Frisco <rock@rocky-frisco.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2005 16:18:16 -0500
Dodd, Kelvin wrote:

> Just a word of caution here.  I'm sure that you are aware of the
> dangers, but someone pulling this up in a search on Mini may not be.
>
> The Mini clutch system requires extremely accurate setup as it is easily
> possible to overthrow the clutch even without lengthening the pushrod.
> When this happens the crank is literally torn out of the engine block.
> I've seen a case where the crank has snapped in half at the thrust
> surface and flywheel housing cracked circumferentially in half.
> Unbelievably the engine would still run as the crank would "dog" back
> together when the clutch was released.

Never have seen that, but I understand it's possible.

In case where the linkage at the pedal box or clutch arm pivot prevent
the complete disengagement of the clutch I would still use this method,
but carefully, of course.

It would obviously be better to fix the original problem, but that's not
always possible, due to circumstances. The addition of a small amount to
length to the pushrod has managed to get me home from a distance or has
allowed me to wait until a more convenient time to do the proper repairs.

On the other hand, usually when the clutch won't fully disengage, it's
carpet bunched up under the clutch pedal.

-Rock    http://www.rocky-frisco.com
--
Rocky Frisco's LIBERTY website: http://www.liberty-in-our-time.com/
The World's Best Daily News Service: http://www.rationalreview.com/