Re: oil consumption

To: Rocky Frisco <rock@rocky-frisco.com>
Subject: Re: oil consumption
From: Charles & Peggy Robinson <ccrobins@ktc.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2005 10:54:08 -0500
Rocky Frisco wrote:

> I would assume this indicates a really good ring wear-in. I know of
> cases where a new engine was worn-in on high-grade multiviscosity
> detergent oil and as a result, never wore-in properly and still used oil
> after thousands of miles.

    Sure, once the rings seated the oil consumption dropped to normal.

> My father sometimes was known to cure this problem by slowly dumping a
> half-teaspoonful of Bon Ami down the carbs at about 2,500 rpm and then,
> after running the engine like this for about three or four minutes,
> draining the oil and replacing it and the filter.

   Some racers used to put in what amounted to rubbing compound in order
to get quick ring seating.  Duke Fox, a pioneer model engine designer,
used to sell some stuff for that purpose.  Called it some Lux or other.
  I never used it.

   Cheers,

    CR