New wiring

To: "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: New wiring
From: "Larry Daniels" <ladaniels@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2005 12:29:24 -0500
I can't stall it off any longer -- I am starting the new wiring harnesses part
of rebuilding the 79 MGB I bought for my better half.  I've been dreading this
because I'm not overly comfortable about all things electrical.  (I think it's
something about not being able to see all those little electrons running
around doing their thing.  Being somewhat color blind doesn't help much
either.)

The car came to me with burned out -- and then half-assed repaired harnesses.
About half of the system was not working with many wires dangling unconnected
to anything and most of the rest were twisted together and wrapped with
electrical tape.  Scary.

One of the things I noticed as I started this is that there is an empty
bracket directly below the fuse box.  It is rectangular and about 3/4" X 1
1/2".  What belongs there?  It looks like maybe a flasher would fit?

I have just begun removing the old main harness by clipping wires as they
leave the harness and leaving the rest of the wire attached to wherever it
goes.  I'm hoping that this will make it easier to see where the new ones go.
I've never replaced harnesses before.  Any hints from the experienced guys out
there that might make it easier... or better yet, keep me out of trouble?

Helpful hints and words of encouragement/sympathy are all appreciated.
Hopefully, I won't need to monopolize the list with too many dumb questions.

TIA,

Larry Daniels
79 MGB LE
72 Midget
60 Bugeye

"You only need two tools: WD-40 and Duct Tape. If it
doesn't move and should, use the WD-40. If it
shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape."