Re: Fuel Pump Problem

To: <DMatt21502@aol.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Fuel Pump Problem
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2005 15:56:59 +0100
Welcome to the world of modern electronics.  They either work or they don't,
and when they don't they usually fail totally and without warning.  Bought
my V8 with a solid-state pump, it was OK for a bit, then intermittently
started short-stroking and causing fuel starvation.  Unlike the points types
there is little you can do about it.  Returning it to the supplier would
normally be an option but not after 5 years I suppose!  Eventually I junked
mine and replaced it with a refurbished points unit and had no more
problems.

I'm assuming all you did was fit this to a previously running car?  Could
you have disturbed some dirt or rust which is blocking things?  Have you
done a delivery test? It should deliver *at least* one pint per minute into
a container at the carb end of the pipe, with no or minimal bubbles.  Could
the tank vent have become blocked? Typically this will cause your symptoms,
immediately relieved by removing the fuel filler cap.  Originally for a LHD
77 the vent would have been via a separation tank in the boot/trunk to the
charcoal canister.  RHD/UK 77s had a vented filler cap.  If delivery is good
then the problem could be in the carb.  But have you confirmed you still
have sparks at the right time i.e. it could be a coincidental ignition
problem.

If the car has been a non-runner for five years and this is the first
attempt to get it working it could be any of the above plus a whole lot
more.

PaulH.