Re: Faultless MGB-GT

To: "Mark L. Hineline" <hineline@ocotillofield.net>, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Faultless MGB-GT
From: MICHAEL JONES <jonesmp@prodigy.net>
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2005 21:31:43 -0800 (PST)
Number 1 sounds like you are going to completely restore the car, which is
fine. Whereas if you find yourself a low mileage original, and they are around
you could probably only concern yourself with the maintenance items. Of course
you will have to pay the price and might have to travel to get it. I have found
these cars if properly maintained, are very reliable and simple. As to number 2
I don't understand why you would want to go from a simple system quite capable
of meeting the cars electrical requirements. Lucas has a bad reputation simply
because people buy a 20 to 40 year old English sports car, have electrical
problems, don't understand why and then bad mouth Lucas. I certainly don't say
its the best, but it is simple and works, again if maintained. I have found
every time I had an electrical problem it has been due to corroded terminals, a
bad ground or simply a broken wire. People who usually complain about
inadequate electrical capacity have loaded the car beyond its
 design capacity with fans, stereos,etc. Some of that can be corrected with
higher output alternators and some additional wiring. 3, 5 and 6 no problem. As
to the FI,  I am curious. Is an analog system mechanical? All the Jetronics I
am familiar with use an electronic brain (have it on my TR7). Keep in mind that
no matter what, you are buying at least a 25yr old car  and if its the more
desiable chrome bumper model its 35 years old.  Be careful with after market
shocks as some are good designs and some bad ones. Good luck.
MJ

"Mark L. Hineline" <hineline@ocotillofield.net> wrote:My lovely wife frequently
expresses an interest in having an MGB-GT,
but after years of driving (and not driving) beaters, including a
couple LBCs, she has gotten spoiled by a late model VW Jetta. Before
she would use a B-GT as a daily driver, it would have to be as
dependable as her Jetta.

I think I know how to do that, and here's my list of tasks and swaps.
This won't pass muster with the originality police, but the trick, as
ever, is to make sure that every modification can be reversed back to
stock.

My question for the mgs list: is there anything that should be added to
this list? And is there anything on the list that is superfluous?

1. Make sure that every stock part and system is in good condition. Gas
tank sealed, radiator boiled out, engine rebuilt, new clutch, all new
bearings, rear axles magnifluxed, etc. etc. etc.

2. Replace entire stock electrical system (loom, dash components) with
relays, better plugs, etc.

3. Install electronic ignition (Crane or other).

4. Install and tweak analog Bosch L-jetronic fuel injection (from Volvo
or Saab).

5. Install Optima battery

6. Meticulous attention to maintenance schedule

I'm on the fence about replacing engine-driven fan with electric, and
replacing stock shocks with aftermarket kits.