Re: Faultless MGB-GT

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Faultless MGB-GT
From: Max Heim <max_heim@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2005 11:37:09 -0800
on 11/19/05 6:46 AM, Mark L. Hineline at hineline@ocotillofield.net wrote:

> 1. Make sure that every stock part and system is in good condition. Gas
> tank sealed, radiator boiled out, engine rebuilt, new clutch, all new
> bearings, rear axles magnifluxed, etc. etc. etc.
>
> 2. Replace entire stock electrical system (loom, dash components) with
> relays, better plugs, etc.
>
> 3. Install electronic ignition (Crane or other).
>
> 4. Install and tweak analog Bosch L-jetronic fuel injection (from Volvo
> or Saab).

This would probably severely reduce reliability compared to dual SUs, which
are pretty much trouble-free once set up. Instead, you'd be running and
de-bugging a "one-off" experimental system.

> 5. Install Optima battery
>
> 6. Meticulous attention to maintenance schedule

Always a good idea.

> I'm on the fence about replacing engine-driven fan with electric, and
> replacing stock shocks with aftermarket kits.

Engine-driven fan is absolutely trouble-free, but I'm always hearing about
problems with electrics. Only consider if overheating in traffic is an
issue.

Shocks are not really a reliability isue either way.

My 2 cents...

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149