Re: Off Topic - Computer Question

To: Barrie Robinson <barrie@look.ca>
Subject: Re: Off Topic - Computer Question
From: "Paul T. Root" <ptroot@iaces.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 09:11:58 -0600
The quick start bar is just a folder down in the
bowels of your computer.

The only thing that makes it quicker is that it's
one click instead of two. No magic going on here.

Some apps will have a setting allowing you to save
a stub of the app in memory and be down in the sys tray.
Which is the right end of the Start bar, where the clock
is. That makes launching a bit quicker... If you have the
memory, otherwise, its just thrown out in swap, which is
the disk and your more or less back where you started.

The only real way to increase performance of a Windows
product is to do a "Microsoft upgrade"*. It's pretty easy.
1. Take your computer
2. Throw it out.
3. By a new fast computer. Probably a dual core Pentium D
or Athlon 64 X2.

That also sticks you with XP (hopefully Media edition). Which
unlike NT and 2000, actually is an upgrade from 98.

Better still, a G5 Mac, dual core and dual processor. But that's
like running your V8 verses a ZS carbed 1800.

(Had to get some MG reference in there. :-)

Paul.

--
    ______      Paul T. Root
   /    _ \     1977 MGB