RE: Thanks for the advice- sputtering 74 MGB

To: "Max Heim" <max_heim@sbcglobal.net>, "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Thanks for the advice- sputtering 74 MGB
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2006 10:46:20 -0800
Max:

The Pertronix system does seem to be sensitive to shaft wear.  The air
gap is critical and that was one of the reasons why the very early kits
had problems.  The later small package kits are much better, but
severely worn bushings still will cause problems.

The original Pertronix units were designed to replace the electronics in
the 45D units.  These early units were extremely good with very, very
few failures.  This was probably due to the lack of bushing wear in
these distributors.  When the Pertronx unit was first installed in the
25D the failure rate was unacceptable, until the new package was
designed.

One other note.  Installing an electronic trigger in a 25D distributor
will tend to reduce cap and rotor life.  The 25D is much more prone to
internal arcing than the 45D, so make sure that the cap, rotor, wires
and plug gap are all to spec.

It still beats grubbing around the engine compartment and dealing with
point contact corrosion if the car sits for a while.  I'll let you
imagine the nasty noises I made the last time I tried to back my MGB
race car out of the trailer and found the points no longer had
continuity.  Luckily I hadn't thrown away my points file.

Kelvin.