Re: front license plate

To: dave houser <mgs4dave@tampabay.rr.com>
Subject: Re: front license plate
From: Aaron Whiteman <awhitema@panix.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2006 13:23:41 -0700
On Jun 29, 2006, at 12:24 PM, dave houser wrote:

> Looking at the plate once I was home i wondered if that could be
> disturbing air flow thru  the grill into the condensor/radiator. It
> sits
> pretty much right in front of the oil cooler and here in Florida we
> don't need two plates on the cars.
> What think? Any gain at all? I will try it and report back.

Dave, in Washington the front plate is still required, so I wasn't
able to attempt that in my '75.

In my car, I had constant problems with heat during the Eastern
Washington summers (80-100 degrees, relatively low humidity of 30-50%).

I replaced the radiator core, changed the way water entered the
radiator, changed the water pump (unrelated--it was leaking), flushed
the coolant, did the home radiator grime flush, changed to an
electric fan, changed back, added an oil cooler ....

No matter what I did, the gauge read high and the thermostat elbow
read at 210 degrees according to my infrared tool.  The faster I
drove, the worse the problem.

I fixed it a couple winters ago--I had a valve stick and the head was
hot-tanked during the valve job.  No more heat problems.