RE: front license plate

To: "Phil Bates" <jello@ida.net>, "Max Heim" <max_heim@sbcglobal.net>
Subject: RE: front license plate
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2006 14:25:56 -0700
Phil et al.

The blanking thermostats were original on the early B-Series as fitted
to the Magnette and MGB.  We don't recommend them for later cars that
have a high pressure cap fitted. The coolant pressure can get high
enough to jam the soft copper bellows in the thermostat.

The bypass passage in the B-series head is not large enough to be a
problem on street driven cars.  The Blanking sleeve is only really
useful if the car is racing and coolant flow through the radiator is
critical.

The bellows blanking thermostat is really useful on cars that have a
large bypass passage such as the TR3-4A, Austin-Healey and Jaguar 3.8L.

Kelvin.