Carb oil differences

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Carb oil differences
From: Bill Saidel <saidel@camden.rutgers.edu>
Date: Sun, 9 Jul 2006 16:01:00 -0400 (EDT)
Hi Gang,
    In the last few years, the answer to the question which kind of oil
should be used in the carb dashpots roughly was "it does not matter." Some
used 30 wgt; others suggested Marvel mystery oil and others, some other
type of oil.

    I used 30 wgt for the first 6 years with my car and last year switched
to Marvel m.o. I found that the m.o. is lighter and disappears faster than
the 30 wgt.  Has anyone else found a similar occurance? Yesterday, I went
on a 150 miles cruise through some great climbing and twisting territory
in Chester county, PA (coming from the great flatlands of south New
Jersey, ANY twisty & hilly road is great).

    Having filled the carbs with Marvel m.o.  in June for a club ride , I
did not check them in the AM yesterday since I filled them  only ~200
miles ago. Yet, the low rpm sputtering indicated something wrong and only after
I got
home did I check them and one of the HIF's was nearly empty.

    Guess I'll go back to 30 wgt but my question:  is there a difference in
oil or is there a problem with my carbs?  (I doubt the latter because the
car ran fine on 30 wgt. However, my doubting matters little to the
collective wisdom of the list.)

TIA,
Bill Saidel
'76B with HIF's