Re: Brake Trouble!!

To: robe3099@bellsouth.net
Subject: Re: Brake Trouble!!
From: Bob Howard <mgbob@juno.com>
Date: Sun, 8 Oct 2006 17:47:00 -0400
John,
   Someone suggested checking the rear rubber hose.  If it's more than a
couple of years old, you would do well to replace it regardless of its
appearance.  Hoses can appear fine yet have internal deterioration that
stops proper back-and-forth fluid movement.
   Another thing to check is the metal line on the axle.  If that has
been flattened the effect is like kinking a garden hose to stop the water
flow.  A common cause of crushed brake lines is the use of a tow chain
around the axle when pulling a car up onto a flatbed truck.
   That shuttle valve in the pressure warning device may be the problem,
but when I managed to get it off to one side in my '72 MBB the front and
rear brakes worked OK.  I bled the system to my satisfaction, then
re-centered the shuttle. In the shop manual is a procedure for getting
the shuttle centered. It works, but it is fiddley and you will need a
helper.
   I believe that your Midget and the same-year MGBs use the same MC.
The first time I rebuilt it there was a defective cup in the kit and rear
brakes did not work.  A replacement cup ( I think I got it at NAPA )
fixed that problem. Also, if that link (looks like a chain link) is
broken the cup will not be pulled back into position to pump a second
stroke of fluid to the rear brakes.
   My original problem and continuing problem was of the leaking. I
rebuilt it three times and never could do it without leaking, bought a
new one that leaked, and was replaced, and the replacment leaked, so
eventually sent the second new one to White Post.
Bob