Re: Brake Trouble! UPDATE!

To: "Charles & Peggy Robinson" <ccrobins@ktc.com>,
Subject: Re: Brake Trouble! UPDATE!
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2006 16:04:49 +0100
But the pulsing does involve releasing as soon as it starts to lock, and
reapplying as soon as it is rotating freely.  Thus over time one wheel could
easily be applying much less retardation to the car than the other.  Unless
you are saying that the modulation is applied to *both* wheels equally.  But
I was under the impression that 4-channel ABS, which is pretty-well
universal now and has been for some time, controls each wheel independently.
My 89 Celica has independent hydraulic lines from the actuator to each
brake, but it isn't clear that they are controlled fully independently or
not.  The manual does state "The function of the ABS is to maintain
directional stability and vehicle steerability on most road conditions".
Note 'directional stability'.  It seems that any system that throws you
under the wheels of a truck as soon as you get a bit of ice under one wheel
is fundamentally flawed.  Mind you, I've always thought the concept was
flawed anyway.  the manual also states "Enables steering round an obstacle
... even when panic braking".  Anyone who is 'panic' braking is unlikely to
have the presence of mind to steer round something that has suddenly
appeared in front of them.  I hate the bloody thing.

PaulH.